We went! A roller coaster to get there but finally my body cooperated and we went. We were hosted by the wonderful mama of S at My Lady Bits which made the trip so much less stressful. She let us use her car and she took us to fabulous restaurants and she’s interesting and fun to boot! We sure lucked out with such a gracious host.
One Day Workup Test Overview:
- CCRM orientation (learn about the center, IVF, who to call, etc.)
- Baseline ultrasound to asses resting follicles (I had 12), blood flow to the uterus (a little restricted on the right side… need electro acupuncture), presence of any anatomic abnormalities (none noted)
- Hysteroscopy so the doc could put a camera on a catheter, blow my uterus up like a balloon and have a looksee. Saw nothing abnormal. This also serves as a trial transfer. Kind of ouchie but not too bad. The CO2 that doesn’t expel out of the vag has to absorb in the body and it rises to the shoulder and that hurts! Doesn’t last long but hurts. So weird.
- Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to see if tubes are open and uterine cavity is normal. No issues noted by the tech.
- Blood work (13 vials in all!) to check AMH, APA, Communicable diseases (HIV, Hep B & C, RPR), Chromosome analysis, Cystic Fibrosis, Fragile X, Spinal Musculator Atrophy screen, Blood type (mine is O) and RH antibody (mine is negative which is a pain because my blood might attack a fetus), Rubella and Varicella screen and anti-sperm antibody screen. So much blood work.
- The hubs had a semen analysis, sperm chromatin structure assay (to see if there are any breaks in genetic material) and the chromosome analysis.
Initial results: Anatomically things are fine. I need a little acupuncture for blood flow but that’s it. As for the blood work, that is yet to be seen. Currently the only test results we have back are the semen analysis which was A+, as usual, and my TSH which was elevated. As a result of the elevated TSH I have hypothyroidism and have been prescribed a medication. The remaining results will come back over the next several weeks. I still need to have my day 3 blood work done here and shipped over. That will complete the extent of the testing at this time and then we will regroup with the doctor to hear what he has to say.
Initial reaction: I didn’t leave CCRM feeling excited. In fact, I left feeling kind of relieved because I kind of hated it. The relief was derived from the fact that it’s very expensive. A fact that I knew before we went but hadn’t really processed. At this point in time, we will wait for our tests results to come back. I am glad that we went because we will get some good information and we scratched the itch to check it out. However, I will need a very compelling reason to go back to Denver. I know they have a sophisticated lab and a collectively more experienced physician pool but it didn’t feel right. My gut says no way. It’s highly likely that even if they offer a very compelling reason to go with them we won’t go through with it. I will sit down with my doctor and go over the results and see what he says. If he’s out of options we might explore some clinics closer to home. If he’s not out of options we might cycle here. I feel so done with this process. Either way, I have made space in my brain for the adoption process. We will concurrently continue to explore biological options but we are no longer holding off on adoption. There is a level of comfort and clarity in that. I know a lot of people have been out there saying prayers and sending energy for feelings of peace and comfort in this decision making process and I am humbled to say that it worked. Thank you for that.
I will post more as results roll in!